Kansas Provider Enrollment - Frequently Asked Questions

Who needs to enroll in KMAP?

Any provider who would like to receive Medicaid reimbursement for services rendered to Medicaid recipients. This includes rendering and billing providers, groups, and facilities.

How do I enroll?

Via the online enrollment wizard: https://www.kmap-state-ks.us/

What information do I need?

  • NPI, Provider name, provider type/specialty, taxonomy, and Tax ID number
  • W-9 completed, signed, and dated
  • Disclosure of Ownership and Control Interest Statement form completed, signed, and dated.
  • Current State License/Approval, as applicable
  • Copy of Medicare Participation Certification, as applicable
  • Copy of CLIA certification, as applicable
  • Copy of all CDDO Affiliate Agreements (I/DD providers)
  • Copy of Declaration Sheet and/or Certificate of Insurance

How long does it take to hear back from enrollment?

Up to 45 days. To track the status of your enrollment, you may go to https://portal.kmap-state-ks.us/ProviderEnrollment/EnrollmentResume  and enter your Application Tracking Number and password in the search tool.

Who should I contact with further questions?

You may call Kansas Medical Assistance Program, KMAP, at 1-800-933-6593.

For questions concerning why Envolve has requested you take action, please contact Customer Service at 1-855-434-9245.